NV 10 S
The NV10S is the new flagship instrument of the Novus range, and successor to the award-winning NV10 hybrid piano. This updated model retains the industry-leading Millennium III Hybrid grand piano keyboard action and unique real damper mechanism of its predecessor, while upgrading a number of sound, delivery, and operation characteristics.
Description & Details
MILLENNIUM III HYBRID GRAND PIANO KEYBOARD ACTION, WITH OPTICAL HAMMER SENSING SYSTEM
The NOVUS NV10S is the first digital piano to incorporate Kawai’s leading acoustic grand piano keyboard action technology, renowned for its extended spruce key sticks, and innovative ABS Carbon components that are stronger, lighter, and more dimensionally stable than conventional wooden parts.
The specially adapted Millennium III Hybrid keyboard action utilised by the NV10S replaces traditional felt hammers with new ABS equivalents that are individual graded in weight from bass to treble, while high-precision optical sensors take the place of metal strings, accurately reading the subtle movements of each hammer as the corresponding keys are played.
GRAND PIANO DAMPER MECHANISM FOR AUTHENTIC PEDAL CONTROL
In addition to featuring a full acoustic grand piano keyboard action, the NOVUS NV10S is the first hybrid instrument to also incorporate a real grand piano damper mechanism. While there are no strings inside the NV10S to require physical damping, this unique feature replicates the true weighting of a grand piano damper pedal, while also mechanically easing the keyboard action’s touch weight as the pedal is pressed.
SHIGERU KAWAI SK-EX CONCERT GRAND PIANO REPRODUCED WITH LATEST SK-EX RENDERING SOUND TECHNOLOGY
The magnificent tone of Kawai’s flagship Shigeru Kawai SK-EX full concert grand piano is at the heart of the NOVUS NV10S hybrid digital piano. Widely regarded as the ‘premier pianos of Japan’, Shigeru Kawai instruments grace the stages of concert halls and musical institutions throughout the world, and are prized for their tonal clarity and exceptional dynamic range.
In order to faithfully reproduce the stunning sound of a Shigeru digitally, Kawai has developed SK-EX Rendering – a brand new piano sound engine that blends multi-channel, 88-key sampling with the latest resonance modelling technology. Multi-channel sampling captures the sound from different points of the Shigeru Kawai concert grand piano, allowing a broader range of tonal characteristics to be reproduced, and providing a more lively, authentic response to changes in dynamics. This naturally expressive sound is further enriched by newly developed resonance algorithms, which physically model the complex tonal interactions produced by the strings, pedals, and various other parts of an acoustic piano, giving players the impression that they’re sitting at a living, breathing instrument.
ALTERNATIVE ACOUSTIC PIANO SOUNDS AND A STRONG SELECTION OF ADDITIONAL INSTRUMENT VOICES
In addition to the latest SK-EX Rendering piano sound engine, the NOVUS NV10S hybrid digital piano also incorporates Kawai’s highly regarding Harmonic Imaging XL technology, showcasing a variety of alternative acoustic piano sounds and a strong selection of additional instrument voices. The Kawai EX full concert grand piano has frequently been selected by professional pianists in such prestigious events as the Chopin, Tchaikovsky, and Rubinstein international piano competitions, while the Shigeru Kawai SK-5 chamber grand and Kawai K-60 upright, allow performers to enjoy the contrasting tonal characteristics of various different piano sizes and voicing configurations.
Supplementing these realistic acoustic piano voices, the NOVUS NV10S hybrid digital piano also features an excellent selection of additional instrument sounds, ranging from electric pianos and drawbar and church organs, to strings, human choirs, and even atmospheric synth-style pads, inviting musicians to add greater variety to their performances. Furthermore, the Dual playing mode also allows two different sounds, such as grand piano and strings, to be layered together, while the Split and 4Hands playing modes divide the keyboard into two independent sections.
VIRTUAL TECHNICIAN ADJUSTMENTS TO PERSONALISE THE INSTRUMENT’S CHARACTER
The NOVUS NV10S hybrid digital piano’s Virtual Technician feature allows various characteristics of the selected acoustic piano, electric piano, or harpsichord sound to be shaped from the instruments’ touchscreen display, with settings to adjust voicing and regulation, string, damper, and cabinet resonances, and subtle hammer, damper, and key release noises. It is even possible to adjust the precise tuning and volume of individual notes, before storing one’s favorite instrument configuration to memory.
INTEGRATED BLUETOOTH® MIDI AND AUDIO CONNECTIVITY
In addition to standard MIDI jacks for connecting to other instruments, the NOVUS NV10S hybrid digital piano also boasts integrated Bluetooth MIDI and Audio technology that allows the instrument to communicate with supported smart devices wirelessly. Once connected to a phone, tablet, or laptop, NV10S owners can enjoy a wide variety of exciting music-related apps that enhance their learning and playing experience, or stream audio from songs and videos through the instrument’s speakers without any additional cables.
* Availability of Bluetooth function dependent on market location.
USB TO DEVICE FUNCTIONALITY, WITH MP3/WAV FILE RECORDING AND PLAYBACK
The NOVUS NV10S hybrid digital piano is equipped with USB connectors that not only allow the instrument to be connected to a computer for MIDI use, but also to load and save data to USB memory devices directly. This ‘USB to Device’ feature allows recorded songs stored in internal memory to be saved to USB for posterity, or standard MIDI files (SMF) downloaded from the internet to be conveniently played back without additional hardware.
USB memory devices can also be used to play back MP3 or WAV audio files, allowing musicians to learn the chords or melody for a new piece, or to simply play along with their favorite songs. It is even possible to save performances as MP3 or WAV files for emailing to friends and family, listening to on the move, or for further editing using an audio workstation.
PREMIUM AUDIO HARDWARE, POWERED BY ONKYO
Developed in collaboration with Onkyo, one of Japan’s leading premium audio equipment manufacturers, the NOVUS NV10S hybrid digital piano is one of the first Kawai musical instruments to utilise specialist components designed for high-end audio reproduction.
With cutting-edge technologies such as 1-bit processing, dual DAC signal conversion, and Onkyo’s DIRDC filtering, the NV10S’s optimised power amplifiers reproduce the Shigeru Kawai grand piano sound with stunning clarity, richness, and power, while the high-performance Discrete Spectra Module headphone amplifier ensures the finest quality listening experience, even when playing in privacy..
FULL-COLOUR TOUCHSCREEN DISPLAY FOR INTUITIVE, BUTTON-LESS OPERATION
The NOVUS NV10S is the first instrument of its kind to feature a full-colour 5” touchscreen display. Discreetly embedded within the left cheekblock, this high resolution touchscreen allows sounds and settings to be selected from an attractive user interface with the swipe of a finger. The display can also be set to turn off automatically while playing, thus preserving the NV10S’s acoustic piano-like appearance, and minimising any visual distraction to the pianist.
Specifications & Dimensions
- Action: Millennium III Hybrid grand piano action with 88-key graded ABS hammers and damper mechanism
- Key Surface: Acrylic/Phenol
- Key Lid: Yes, Softfall
- Pedals: Real mechanical pedals; Damper (with half-pedal support), Soft, Sostenuto; Grand Feel Pedal System with mechanical affecting of the key action
- Height (cm): 99.5
- Width (cm): 148
- Depth (cm): 65
- Weight (kg): 132
- Finishes: Black Polish
- Sensors: Integrated Hammer Sensing System (IHSS), contact-less optical sensors
- Velocity Curves:Light+, Light, Normal, Heavy, Heavy+, Off (Constant), User
- Sound Source: SK-EX Multi Channel 88 Key Rendering and Harmonic Imaging™ XL, 88 Key Sampling
- Sounds: 90, Shigeru Kawai EX Concert Grand with 10 Rendering Charakters Grand Pianos: Shigeru Kawai EX, Kawai EX, SK-5
- Polyphony: max. 256 notes (depending on selected sound)
- Virtual Technician: Touch Curve, Voicing, Resonance Depth, Damper Resonance, Damper Noise, String Resonance, Undamped String Resonance, Cabinet Resonance, Key-off Effect, Fall-Back Noise, Hammer Noise, Hammer Delay, Topboard, Decay Time, Release Time, Minimum Touch, Stretch Tuning, Temperament, Temperament Key, Key Volume, Half-Pedal Adjust, Soft Pedal Depth, Tuning, Damper Hold
- Keyboard Modes: Dual, Split, 4Hands (Volume/Balance adjustable)
- Reverb: Room, Lounge, Small Hall, Concert Hall, Live Hall, Cathedral
- Effects: Stereo Delay, Ping Delay, Triple Delay, Chorus, Classic Chorus, Tremolo, Classic Tremolo, Auto Pan, Classic Auto Pan, Phaser, Rotary, Combination Effects x 4, Amplified Effects x 3
- Tuning: Equal (Piano Only), Pure (Major), Pure (Minor), Pythagorean, Meantone, Werckmeister III, Kirnberger III, Equal (Flat), Equal (Stretch), USER
- Metronome/Beats: 10 Beats + 100 Rhythms, Tempo and Volume adjustable
- Recorder: USB Memory: MP3/WAV Record and Playback, A-B Loop; Internal: MIDI 10 Songs, 2 Tracks – max. 90,000 Notes
- Lesson Function: 542 Songs in total. Songs from Czerny, Burgmüller, Beyer, Bach, Chopin and Hanon (incl. printed score books); Songs from Alfred without score books. Additional Finger practises with 4 scales (mayor, n.minor, h.minor, m.minor), 2 Arpeggio-, 2 Cadence- and 2 Chord- trainings in all root notes with score function
- Piano Music Songs: 29
- Concert Magic Songs: 176
- Demo Songs: 39
- Display: 5” LCD touchscreen
- Bluetooth: Bluetooth (Version 4.1; GATT compatible), Bluetooth Low Energy MIDI Specification compliant Bluetooth Audio (Version 3.0, Profile: A2DP, Codecs: SBC, AAC, aptX)
- Registrations: Yes, 100 Favorite Memories
- USB Functions: Playback: MP3, WAV, SMF ; Recording: MP3, WAV ; Functions: Audio Overdub, Convert Song to Audio, Internal Songs load, Internal Songs save, SMF Song save, File delete, USB format
- Other Features: Key Transpose, Song Transpose, Tone Control (incl. User EQ), Wall EQ, Speaker Volume, Headphone Volume , Line In, Line Out Volume, Audio Recorder Gain, Tuning, Damper Hold, LCD Contrast, User Memory, Reset, Lower Octave Shift, Lower Pedal On/Off , Split Balance, Layer Octave Shift, Layer Dynamics, Dual Balance, MIDI Kanal, Send PGM#, Local Control, Transmit PGM#, Multi Timbral Modus, Channel Mute, Auto Power Off
- Sound System: 10 cm x 4 (top speakers), 1,4 cm x 2 (dome tweeters), 20 cm x 1 (woofer)
- Amplifier: 135 W (45 W x 3)
- Power Consumption: 60 W
- Jacks: LINE IN (1/8” STEREO), LINE IN Level, LINE OUT (1/4” L/MONO, R), Headphones x 2 (1/4”, 1/8”), MIDI (IN/OUT), USB to Host, USB to Device