Premium Concert Artist experience featuring SK-EX Competition Grand sound, GrandFeel 3 wooden feel action and touchscreen control.
Description & Details
PREMIUM CONCERT ARTIST AUTHENTICITY
Combining Kawai’s industry-leading Grand Feel III wooden-key keyboard action, brand new SK-EX Competition Grand sounds with multi-channel sampling and resonance modelling with multi-channel sampling and resonance modelling, premium audio processing and amplification technologies, and a powerful 6-speaker output system, the CA701 delivers grand piano playing authenticity at a competitive price.
The CA701 model retain the leading Grand Feel III wooden-key keyboard action of their predecessors, while introducing a brand new SK-EX Competition Grand piano sound, reproduced using Kawai’s advanced multi-channel SK-EX Rendering sound engine. Complementing the existing SK-EX Concert Grand, this latest recreation of the flagship Shigeru Kawai piano uses all new sample data, specifically recorded from the player’s perspective, and possess a bright and clear tonal character with a distinctive attack.
The CA701’s stunning Shigeru Kawai SK-EX piano sounds are processed using new audio hardware which incorporates a high performance DAC system and custom developed piano filter. This high-fidelity sound is then delivered through the instruments’ impressive speaker systems, with the CA701 featuring upgraded 360° top speaker diffusers, resulting in an exceptionally rich and authentic musical experience for players and listeners alike.
The CA701’s unique cheekblock touchscreen display features an improved anti-glare panel, with a smooth matte surface that reduces overhead reflections for enhanced visibility. The instrument’s user interface has also received various updates, including the ability to turn-off the LCD display after a defined period, thus minimising any visual distractions to the performer. Wireless connectivity has also been refreshed, with Bluetooth MIDI and Bluetooth Audio components both adopting the latest v5 standards, ensuring ultra-low latency, improved reliability, and superior sound quality when paired with the latest mobile devices.
Finally, the latest Concert Artist models have also received numerous cabinet design and geometry refinements, with the CA701 boasting a taller, more impressive upper body and new score support pins and benefiting from optimised pedal and music rest placement, affording pianists a more comfortable playing position and an even more enjoyable piano experience overall.
CA701 MAIN FEATURES:
■Industry leading Grand Feel III wooden-key keyboard action
■Stunning SK-EX Concert Grand and new SK-EX Competition Grand piano sounds
■Premium audio processing, conversion, and amplification technologies
■High performance speaker delivery system with 360° diffuser panels
■Integrated Bluetooth® MIDI and audio using latest v5 standards
■Anti-glare 5″ LCD touchscreen display with intuitive user interface
■Support for Kawai’s latest PianoRemote and PiaBookPlayer apps for iOS/Android
■Flexible Virtual Piano Artisan (formerly Virtual Technician) function with 20 parameters
■Built-in Burgmüller, Czerny, Beyer, Chopin etudes and Alfred lesson songs
■Convenient WAV/MP3 audio file record and playback via USB memory
■Attractive cabinet designs available in wood grain and ebony polish finishes
SHIGERU KAWAI SK-EX CONCERT AND COMPETITION GRAND PIANO SOUNDS REPRODUCED WITH SK-EX RENDERING TECHNOLOGY
Widely regarded as the ‘premier pianos of Japan’, Shigeru Kawai instruments grace the stages of concert halls and musical institutions throughout the world, and are prized for their tonal clarity and exceptional dynamic range. The magnificent tone of Kawai’s flagship Shigeru Kawai SK-EX grand piano is at the heart of the CA701, with the latest models featuring two distinctive recreations of this peerless instrument. The SK-EX Concert Grand piano sound has gained a reputation as one of the most authentic reproductions available in a digital piano, characterised by its warm, sensitive tone, and wide attack with rich reverberation. This elegant voice is complemented by a brand new SK-EX Competition Grand piano sound, accurately representing the latest generation SK-EX-L instruments that have received widespread acclaim and success at the Hamamatsu, Chopin, and Sendai international piano competitions in recent years. The SK-EX Competition Grand piano sound possesses a bright, clear tonal character, with a distinctive thick attack, and is specifically recorded from the pianist’s position for the ultimate performance experience.
In order to faithfully reproduce the stunning sound of a Shigeru digitally, Kawai has developed SK-EX Rendering – a piano-focussed sound engine that blends multi-channel, 88-key sampling with the latest resonance modelling technology. Multi-channel sampling captures the sound from different points of the Shigeru Kawai SK-EX grand piano, allowing a broader range of tonal characteristics to be reproduced, and providing a more lively, authentic response to changes in dynamics. This naturally expressive sound is further enriched by advanced resonance algorithms, which physically model the complex tonal interactions produced by the strings, damper, and various other parts of an acoustic piano, giving players the impression that they’re sitting at a living, breathing instrument.
GRAND FEEL III WOODEN-KEY ACTION WITH EBONY & IVORY TOUCH KEY SURFACES, COUNTERWEIGHTS, AND ‘LET-OFF’ MECHANISM
Articulating these superb SK-EX grand piano sounds is the industry leading Grand Feel III wooden-key keyboard action, which draws upon Kawai’s 95+ years of acoustic piano craftsmanship to provide an exceptionally realistic playing experience. As with a grand piano, all of the Grand Feel III action’s eighty-eight black and white keys are crafted entirely from long pieces of wood, and pivot on a central balance pin with a smooth, seesaw-like motion. This natural movement throws grade-weighted metal hammers located at the back of the keyboard, with their individual velocities precisely measured using triple-sensor technology for improved responsiveness and realism.
The Grand Feel III action’s extended wooden keys also boast an extra-long pivot length – matching that of a Kawai acoustic grand piano. This provides a more consistent touch weight when playing towards the rear of the keyboard, while additional counterweights placed below each key help to further balance the weight of the action during pianissimo passages. Finally, the Grand Feel III keyboard action also features Kawai’s Ebony & Ivory Touch key surfaces that gently absorb moisture to assist playing control, and possess a natural, matte finish that is smooth, but not slippery.
PREMIUM AUDIO PROCESSING, AMPLIFICATION, AND SPEAKER TECHNOLOGIES
Developed by Kawai R&D’s highly experienced audio engineering team, the CA701 digital piano utilise specialist components designed for high-end audio reproduction. High performance DAC (digital analogue conversion) components that utilise a unique filtering process specially developed for acoustic piano sounds, combine with the Concert Artists’ high specification power amplifiers to reproduce the Shigeru Kawai SK-EX sounds with stunning richness and clarity.
The CA701 features powerful 6-speaker delivery systems that utilise premium driver units, and custom-engineered diffuser panels which help to expand the pianos’ tonal projection in all directions. These additional components create a 360° sound field around the instrument, ensuring a natural piano sound for both the player, and for those listening elsewhere in the room.
Finally, the CA701 also incorporate an audiophile-grade discrete headphone amplifier, which combines with Kawai’s Spatial Headphone Sound technology to ensure the finest quality and most engaging listening experience, even when playing in privacy.
INTEGRATED BLUETOOTH® MIDI AND AUDIO CONNECTIVITY
In addition to a standard USB-MIDI port for connecting to computers, the CA701 digital piano also features the latest Bluetooth® MIDI and Audio v5 technology, allowing these instruments to communicate with supported smart devices wirelessly. Once paired to a phone, tablet, or laptop, Concert Artist owners can enjoy a wide variety of exciting music-related apps that enhance their learning and playing experience, or stream high quality, low-latency audio directly through the instruments’ premium amplifier and speaker systems without the need for any cables.
FULL-COLOUR TOUCHSCREEN DISPLAY FOR INTUITIVE, BUTTON-LESS OPERATION
The CA701 digital piano features a full-colour, anti-glare 5″ touchscreen display discreetly embedded within the instruments’ left cheekblock. This high resolution touchscreen allows sounds and settings to be selected from an attractive user interface simply by tapping or swiping the display with a finger. This screen can also be set to turn off automatically while playing, thus preserving the instruments’ acoustic piano-like appearance, and minimising any visual distraction to the performer. As with all new Kawai models, the CA701 fully supports the PianoRemote and PiaBookPlayer apps for iOS and Android devices, providing an effortless way to control the instrument wirelessly from a smartphone or tablet, or to study the notated scores for many of the built-in classical etudes and piano pieces from the comfort of an armchair.
MODERN CABINET DESIGNS, AVAILABLE IN A CHOICE OF FINISHES
The CA701 is housed within premium quality wooden cabinet, with tapered legs and rounded edge details contributing to the instruments’ light and modern character. The CA701 maintain a more contemporary digital piano cabinet design, with a 6-position music rest and score support pins which can be raised to hold the pages of thicker notated scores securely in place. The CA701 is available in Premium Rosewood, Satin Black, and Satin White wood-grain finishes, as well as classic Ebony Polish, allowing musicians to coordinate their piano with a range of traditional or modern interiors.
Stunning grand piano sounds, an ultra-realistic wooden-key keyboard action, premium audio, amplification, and speaker technologies, convenient Bluetooth connectivity, and a modern touchscreen interface. The new Kawai CA Series: Feel inspired.
Specifications & Dimensions
- Action: Grand Feel III
- Key Material: Wood
- Key Surface: Ivory/Ebony Touch
- Letoff Simulation: Yes
- Sensors: 3
- Velocity Curves: Light 1-4, Normal, Heavy 1-4, Off (Constant)
- Key Lid: Yes
- Sound Source: SK-EX Multi Channel 88 Key Rendering and Harmonic Imaging™ XL, 88 Key Sampling
- Sounds: 96, Pianos: Shigeru Kawai EX Competition Grand and Shigeru Kawai EX Concert Grand with 5 Rendering Characters each as well as Kawai EX Concert Grand, SK-5 Grand and K60 Upright Piano
- Polyphony: max. 256 notes (depending on selected sound)
- Virtual Technician: Touch Curve, Voicing, String Resonances, Damper Noise, Undamped String Resonance, Cabinet Resonance, Key Off Effect, Fallback Noise, Hammer Noise, Hammer Delay, Topboard, Decay Time, Release Time, Minimum Touch, Stretch Tuning, Temperament, Temperament Key, Key Volume, Half-Pedal Adjust, Soft Pedal Depth
- Keyboard Modes: Dual, Split, 4Hands (Volume/Balance adjustable)
- Reverb: Room, Lounge, Small Hall, Concert Hall, Live Hall, Cathedral
- Effects: Stereo Delay, Ping Delay, Triple Delay, Chorus, Classic Chorus, Tremolo, Classic Tremolo, Auto Pan, Classic Auto Pan, Phaser, Rotary, Combination Effects x 4, Amplified Effects x 3
- Tuning: Equal (Piano Only), Pure (Major), Pure (Minor), Pythagorean, Meantone, Werckmeister III, Kirnberger III, Equal (Flat), Equal (Stretch), USER
- Metronome/Beats: 10 Beats + 100 Rhythms, Tempo and Volume adjustable
- Recorder: USB Memory: MP3/WAV Record and Playback, A-B Loop; Internal: MIDI 10 Songs, 2 Tracks – max. 90,000 Notes
- Lesson Function: 542 Songs in total. Songs from Czerny, Burgmüller, Beyer, Bach, Chopin and Hanon (incl. printed score books); Songs from Alfred without score books. Additional Finger practizes with 4 scales (mayor, n.minor, h.minor, m.minor), 2 Arpeggio-, 2 Cadence- and 2 Chord- trainings in all root notes with score function
- Piano Music Songs: 205
- Demo Songs: 39
- Display: 5” LCD anti-glare touchscreen
- Bluetooth: Bluetooth (Ver. 5.0; GATT compatible), Bluetooth Low Energy MIDI Specification compliant Bluetooth Audio (Ver. 5.1; A2DP compatible)
- Registrations: Yes, 100 Favorite Memories
- USB Functions: Playback: MP3, WAV, SMF ; Recording: MP3, WAV ; Functions: Audio Overdub, Convert Song to Audio, Internal Songs load, Internal Songs save, SMF Song save, File delete, USB format
- Other Features: Key Transpose, Song Transpose, Tone Control (incl. User EQ), Wall EQ, Speaker Volume, Headphone Volume , Line In, Line Out Volume, Audio Recorder Gain, Tuning, Damper Hold, LCD Contrast, User Memory, Reset, Lower Octave Shift, Lower Pedal On/Off , Split Balance, Layer Octave Shift, Layer Dynamics, Dual Balance, MIDI Kanal, Send PGM#, Local Control, Transmit PGM#, Multi Timbral Modus, Channel Mute, Auto Power Off
- Sound System: 13 cm x 2 (woofers), (8 x 12) cm x 2 (top speakers with diffusers), 5 cm x 2 (tweeters)
- Amplifier: 2 x 50W
- Power Consumption: 55 W
- Pedals: Grand Feel Pedal System: Sustain (with half-pedal support), Soft (with half-pedal support), Sostenuto.
- Music Rack: 6-steps, extra large with simulated leather lining the base, Music Score Support Pins
- Jacks: LINE IN (1/8” STEREO), LINE IN Level, LINE OUT (1/4” L/MONO, R), Headphones x 2 (1/4”, 1/8”), USB MIDI, USB to Device
Dimensions & Finishes
- Height (cm) 97
- Width (cm): 145
- Depth (cm): 49.5
- Weight (kg): 76.5 (92.5 Black Polished)
- Finishes: Black polish, Premium Black satin, Premium Rosewood, Premium White satin